Thursday, January 06, 2011



















This isn't quite what I wanted the image to be, but I like the drops of water coming of the stream. I took this because I was thinking about how lucky I am to be able to turn on a faucet and get clean, drinkable water, any time I want it.

I've got a lot floating around in my head, thinking about the future, work, art, life, parenting...I don't want to put pressure on myself, to feel like I need to change myself entirely, but I am someone who does ponder life a lot (too much, maybe!), and the new year always triggers thoughts of self-improvement. It's funny, I don't think it's coincidence that I've stepped away from the FB games almost entirely and I've had a really good and productive week. And, even though this was reentry from vacation week, I've had a *great* week with the kids, some really good connections with my friends, and I've been feeling really energized creatively.

(It's funny, I really cringe when I try to apply the word creative to me. I don't really feel like I am. I'm not sure what I think a creative person would like, or how they would act, but I feel pretty mundane so it can't be me. It's funny, I think a creative person would have a really funky and interestingly decorated house, and that's so not my life. I need to remind myself that the act of creating is creative.)

Anyway, I'm feeling like I'm a big state of change, and terms of moving into a new stage of living.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OMG, I know what you mean. I remember a few years back when someone said "you're quite an artist!" and I looked around to see who else she might have been referring to. Definitely not part of my self-identity/narrative. Or rather, it wasn't - I'm starting to be okay with being a geek AND being artistic/creative AND still climbing that learning curve.

Your comment reminds me of a totally different context (a project-based middle school math curriculum) where a student literally said "this isn't math." "Why not?" "Because I'm not good at math but I'm really good at this."

Keep up the good practice!!!