Sunday, January 09, 2011

Teeny Tiny Baby Helmet

So, my friend the photographer, sent me a link to baby hat she liked. I found something similar (in looking again, I think it's the same pattern!) on Ravelry, and started it. Then I decided to get creative. I rewrote the pattern using Lion Brand Organic Cotton, which is decidedly not a fingering weight yarn. They call it worsted but I think it's heavier than that...anyway, after many, many false starts, including a couple of massive counting errors and one addition error that made me cry just a little bit, I ended up with...




















It turned out very tiny - it fits perfectly on my grapefruit which measured at 12.5" circumference, which, per Bev's handy chart, would be similar to 5-5.5 lb baby. I've worked the numbers for larger sizes, though there's some tweaking needed for the actual knitting. I'm not sure if I think the yarn is too big for such a small hat? It was fun to reword the pattern, anyway, even if it turns out I need to redo 1st grade math.

In terms of the photo, the DOF is a bit shallower than it should be. I'd like to figure out how to get the whole item sharp, but maintain the blur of the background.

2 comments:

Dorothy said...

Very cute!

Anonymous said...

As you know, you can increase DOF by stopping down the aperture, but then your shutter speed decreases to below hand-held levels. This is where the tripod becomes indispensable - you can take a second-long exposure in natural light and get the DOF to just where you want it (you may also find fine-tuning with manual focus helps to position the focal plane just right as well). Lacking a tripod, any malleable platform (e.g., a folded sweater) that allows you to position the camera right will work, along with the camera's self-timer (since you don't want to shake it by pushing the button).