Thursday, January 20, 2011

Endings and Beginnings

I have a lot of thoughts swirling about in my head right now, and I'm not sure how much I can, or want to, get them out on the page. I am being reminded that there are people who are not the right fit for me as friends, and that rather than hang on to someone who's just not a good fit, it's better to let go with love and move along. Over all in my life, I've been truly and profoundly blessed by my friends, and it's been rare that friendships have not worked out. Sure, time and distance have caused some to fade, but this is different. This is one of the rare times where I feel like I'm being called to actively let go of someone. It's actually really fine, but still hard, if that makes sense.

So, with that, I want to take a moment and focus on all the wonderful *good* things in my life right now. I just received the last of my Christmas/birthday present, which is a 50 mm f/1.4 lens for my new camera. To say I am excited is an understatement. I am pretty sure that there's at least one more lens I need for my stable (ha ha!) but I'm out of money at the moment. This is a great portrait lens, and I'm going to be practicing on friends and their kids, which will be very cool. I've got some really neat and fun things coming up. A friend invited me to see The Race to Nowhere tonight, so that should be cool, and then I'm hosting book club tomorrow, which should also be an excellent night. Another friend has invited my husband and me to a regency era dance, so if we can find child care, we're going to go to that! SO FUN!!

We're in the process of trying to figure out preschool options for my daughter for next year. I can't believe she's big enough to go to preschool! I remember applying for my oldest when he was this age, thinking he was so big...now I understand a bit better how truly young he was. It's stunning how fast it goes.

I've not been doing great on the focusing on things that are GOOD for me (as opposed to things I enjoy) stuff. I'm going to try and do better... :) It's all a work in progress, right?

Oh, and I'm knitting a hat.

2 comments:

Pam Asberry said...

My thoughts are with you as you make the decision about what to do with a friendship that just isn't working for you. It isn't as simple as putting aside a knitting project that you're not happy with. Or is it? I am enjoying reading about all your projects. I have never knitted with Noro before; I have been put off by what I have read about the inevitable knots found in it. Has that been a problem for you?

Knitting with a Purpose said...

Thanks Pam! And you're right, it's nowhere near as easy as putting aside a knitting project, which is also something I have trouble with! But, I have a long history of investing way too much time and energy in people who are either not investing it back, just not a good fit for me, or are actively unkind. The older I get, the more I realize that there are lots of wonderful people who treat me well and genuinely care about me, and *they* are the people who deserve time and energy!

Yes, Noro is pain. I don't know if I've ever had a skein without knots, and the pain is that the knots aren't in the colorscheme, if that makes sense, so you either have a huge color jump or have to cut and splice. I'm loving the KnitPicks Chroma. It's a very different yarn, but I'm really liking it!