Sunday, January 16, 2011

Knitting, and it's not working

That is to say, my vision of the finished product is not matching what's coming off my needles. A friend incredibly kindly gifted me with Spilly Jane's Swedish Fish pattern, and I decided to use one of Knit Pick's new Chroma yarns against a neutral background. I happened to have some KP Essential in Ash, and when I held the colors up next to one another, they worked (cool tones). I started knitting.

Now, yes, I am aware that I have stated that I am not interested in color work, but how cute are these mittens? I am actually enjoying the process of knitting them, a lot. What I'm less enthralled with, sadly, is what's coming off my needles. Technically it's okay - I mean, I haven't done a ton of color work so I know my technique isn't perfect, but that's okay. It's that the Ash is just too dark. I want the fish to POP more. So it's that dilemma. Do I keep knitting, to see if the purple and lime will pop out that way I want them to, or do I just accept that the Ash is too dark, and find something lighter. I can't do a white background, they'll just get gross. I live in MA, land of salt and slush. There is a lighter grey Stroll...but do I really want to pay the shipping?

And...having sat on this post, and the process of a couple of hours...yes, I'm going to order something different and do them in a lighter background. I ordered the Dove Grey, and a different colorway of Chroma to try. Actually, to be honest, it's not that I'm *going* to order more yarn. I already did. The S&H was only $4, so I don't feel too bad.

My goal for tonight is to finally finish yet another Noro Double Gradient scarf. I was really hoping this would be the one for me...but it's not. So, I don't know who it's for. I think I have to give up on Noro. I love the concept, I really do, but there is only one colorway that I adore (188), and I've already knit myself a bag and hat out of it. Though come to think of it, the hat just doesn't really work - it's a bit too long and too tight. But I want to get this scarf off needles so I can start, you know, another one, but this one in Chroma.

I seem to be a WEE bit obsessed with Chroma, huh.

Pictures later if I get this damn scarf done.

No comments: