Tuesday, February 01, 2011

No pictures but craftiness has occurred!

In part no pictures because I just sent some excellent socks off to a dear friend who's been played a *seriously* crappy hand in life, and I thought she needed some fun socks, but she hasn't gotten them yet. I knew I was FINALLY going to make it to the post office today, so I made a couple of pairs for her last night.

My serger was frustrating me - I think I need to take some lessons. I want to figure out how to do an actual flat overlock seam. I followed the various instruction manuals and it just did not work. I think it'll make the fleece socks even more excellent and comfortable! It also occurred to me that I should shorten the stitch width so that the bump inside is smaller. I'm beat, so I think I'm going to knit instead tonight. You might have heard, there's a big of a storm going on. DD and I braved the snow this morning and ran some errands. Flannel was on sale at Joann for $2.50 a yard, so I got some for Project Linus blankets. Sadly I forgot to buy a new pad and cover for my ironing board (mine shredded in the wash), so that project's on hold for the moment.

It might not look like much, but we had a yummy dinner tonight! I made The Pioneer Woman's Butter Chicken, with a few modifications: I used olive oil instead of butter to cook the onions, I cut the cayenne in half and upped the savory spices, chicken thighs instead of breast meat, and I added paneer because that can't be wrong. Oh and I used 1/2 and 1/2, not heavy cream. Still, SO VERY GOOD! My friend just passed along a recipe for Saag Paneer which I can't wait to try!













They've already cancelled school for tomorrow, which, if the predictions are even close, is the right call. We live in a very hilly neighborhood and I was a bit nervous about the bus making it up the hill! I think it's going to be UGLY tomorrow. Luckily, I've got a few things that didn't make it out from Christmas stashed in the closet, so I may pull those out. One problem is that my husband is putting down laminate flooring in the playroom, so the kids can't, you know, play in there. The house is going to be a DISASTER by tomorrow night. Well, not like it isn't already, I guess! Thank god for lots of friends in the neighborhood, maybe we can go visiting tomorrow.

I'm working on using all this weather as practice for being in the moment and going with the flow, which is not something I'm great at. And I keep reminding myself, my kids are heading towards the age (at least the oldest) where he's not going to want to have anything to do with me, so better enjoy him now while I can.

1 comment:

Trina said...

You are an awesome friend, and you can cook dinner for me ANY time! :)