Friday, February 18, 2011

Vacation, all I ever wanted...

Vacationing with kids is a slightly different experience than vacation without kids. When the kids were littler, honestly, I really disliked going anywhere because it was all the same work but with none of the comforts of home. Going to my parents' house was sort of an exception to that attitude, because my mom has gone above and beyond to provide a kid-friendly experience. Why am I talking about this? It's school vacation week and I'm taking the kids off to visit my parents, without DH. It's not that big a deal, I do this 2-3 times a year. But it is a 4 hour drive with just me, and my oldest is getting to the point where I don't want him going into a restroom at a rest area alone, but he's 7, and it's getting weird to bring him into the ladies room. And DD has decided to potty train herself, so it's going to be interesting.

I did some actual knitting today, in anticipation of the visit. I have almost finished the first one of these for myself. I've apparently already knit a pair for my oldest already, and I have the yarn for a pair for my middle kid. I had a pair and loved them, and wore them out, so a new pair (or two) is necessary. And, they'll match my frog jammies. I'd love to get these all knit over the time I'm there, so I can felt them in my mom's top loading machine. I wonder why I call it my mom's machine when it's my dad who does all the laundry? Anyway. I really like this pattern, it's one of those things where never in a million years could I have come up with something like this, and it's so clever! And you're knitting on big fat needles, so it goes quickly!

So, there's a lot to get done before we go, and I can't do any of it on Sunday (the day of departure) because we're going to church and then leaving from there. And tomorrow, my MOA (that's "made of awesome") friend is taking all three kids for the afternoon and feeding them dinner (HOLY CRAP IT IS REALLY POURING AND WINDY OUT THERE!!!), so DH and I can have a date. Which we really, really need.

But, tonight I'm going to go catch up on Glee.

1 comment:

Dorothy said...

I've been there with the traveling and the bathroom thing. A lot of rest stops have family bathrooms, and we use those, OR, we get off the thruway and use a fast food restaurant's bathrooms. It's not as crowded as a rest stop, and feels a little better to send a kid into the bathroom alone.

have a great trip!