Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Uh oh.

I learned something....well, wonderful yet not great for my wallet today. I had to get buttons for the baby cardigan (I measured it against some random baby at Starbucks and there's no way it's a 6-month, closer to a 2-4 month so I gotta get it to this kid PRONTO), so I took DS2 downtown to Windsor Button. Now, the last time I was there was before I got married - I got the tulle for my veil there. So, 1999/early 2000? It was buttons, craft stuff, fake flowers, ribbons, bridal things. Not yarn. Sometime in the last 6-7 years, they've become close to a yarn store! They've got a pretty great selection of some really nice yarns! I bought a couple of balls of Tahki Cotton Classics Colors because I need to make something for our preschool silent auction, and I figure a hat and booties oughta work. The thing is, they were so nice (unlike the Woolcott folks, where it's always a risk that you're going to get massive attitude), and it's T-accessible (which means I could get the boys to go with the bribery of a train ride). I so did not need to know this! I have too much knitting to do!

Oh, I got little ducky buttons, very cute.

I've got to block the sweater (which, by the way, I don't really know how to do) and do the buttons, plus finish the little hat. I've got my Cascade Fixation short-row toe/heel socks almost done. I'm not thrilled with them, actually. I didn't think about the fact that elastic yarn is stretchy, and made them true-to-length for my feet, so I think they're going to be too big. And the one I've cast off, it's too tight (I did a regular cast-off). So, for the other, I'm going to learn EZ's sewn cast-off, because, hey, I need to learn it. And I made these socks too short in length. They're fine, they'll fit, but I think I'd like them taller. Ah well, live and learn, eh? I got all this knitting done on my recent trip to San Francisco (which rocked for many reasons). I'll post pictures after I finish this stuff.

I'm trying to do a Garterlac Dishcloth too, but I keep screwing it up and having to restart it. Oh well. By now I'm so bound and determined that I'm going to learn this thing!! I'm excited to be getting things done because I've got so many fun projects I'm planning. Currently I've got yarn for:
  • A multidirectional hat (Artyarns)
  • A multidirectional poncho (Artyarns)
  • A multidirectional scarf (Berocco)
  • The Magic Waves shawl (Berocco)
  • Socks (Artyarns, Lorna's Lace)
  • Many many baby hats and dishcloths.

And now I've started thinking about shawls. We'll see what I do with the Magic Waves one, though that doesn't strike me as a cozy shawl, more of a dressy one.

Okay, I'm going to go block that sweater!!

No comments: