Thursday, January 25, 2007

Some FOs!

I actually have gotten some stuff done (almost).

This is Baby J's sweater. The gauge was off, so it's kind of...small. I really hope it fits him. I just can't seem to knit right for this kid! This is my third attempt - two hats frogged. I'm doing a hat too, but if I don't get it done tonight, the sweater is getting sent tomorrow without it. It needs to get to him. I'm not loving how the colors clumped up on the body, but I love the stripes on the arms. Ah, the fun of variegated yarns! You never know what you're going to get!

Here's the button on the sweater. How cute is that? Well, IMO, very cute! I got the
buttons at Windsor Button. The yarn is Bernat Softee in Dreamy Blue. I thought it would be...softer, somehow, but it's fine. Not great yarn, but totally machine washable and dryable, and these aren't folks who are going to notice really nice yarn. I've got a whole 'nother ball of this, so perhaps I'll do some NICU hats with it. The patterns is one that I found on-line a while ago, but seems to be gone from about.com - do they not have tons of patterns anymore? It's the top-down, all one piece baby cardigan with the button band integrated into the body of the sweater, so you don't have to pick up any stitches. This was knit on size 4 bamboos.

Yesterday/last night I finally finished the Garterlac Dishcloth (by way of Knit Worth), which looks complicated, but once I figured it out, was so easy I didn't even need to keep track of my rows! Mine isn't quite as pretty as the others...it's sort of a funny shape. But hey! That's okay, I'm just going to be washing dishes (or myself) with it, so it doesn't have to be perfect! I don't know if I was knitting too loosely or if I cast-on too tightly. I did a regular knitted cast-on, maybe something looser/stretchier would be better? I don't know. I am so doing more of these, I have so much Sugar'n'Cream yarn!

And I finished a pair of socks!!! They were done using 40" Addi Turbos, size 2, with Cascade Fixation. They definitely aren't perfect (err, that seems to be my theme for FOs right now, ah well). I didn't think about the fact that the yarn is 1.7% elastic, so they're REALLY stretchy, and I made them exact length, so really, they're too long. I also didn't do the best job on the double-wrapped, short row heels, so I've got some little holes, but that's okay. AND, I did a regular bind-off on one of them (hey, I was on a plane with no internet access, so I couldn't look up a stretchier bind-off, and how DID people do this stuff before the internet??), but I did EZ's sewn cast-off for the second, and that's way nicer. I don't mind the fiddly-ness of it.

And on to the future...

I did get really bored of stockinette with these, so my next pair, I'm going to do something with a pattern. I've got some Artyarns sock yarn, and I'm thinking of doing Knitty's RPM. I've also got some Plymouth Sockotta (in 6674) that I need a pattern for. Any ideas? Once I get done with Baby J's hat, I'm going to do a quick hat and booties for my son's nursery school silent auction. I need to finish DH's socks too, and THEN I get to figure out my next ME project...probably my Artyarns poncho, I really want to get that made so I can wear it, since it got cold here, and we're keeping the house really cold to save money. :) I think I need some sort of big bulky yarn shawl too.

1 comment:

webhill said...

OK, first of all, when DO you find the time??
Second of all, I love the garterlac cloth, I have no idea why the shape is weird but whatever, it's a washcloth. I love the garterlac pattern, really, I do. I find that I DO have to pay attention to the pattern all the time, so I'm impressed that you don't.

Regarding about.com, apparently their knitting cruise director up and left them, taking all the files with her. Lame. So they are rebuilding their pattern directories. I don't suppose you have that pattern in electronic format saved somewhere? Looks like something I'd enjoy making for my upcoming niece or nephew.