Thursday, February 22, 2007

FOs and a bad yarn store experience

DH was off to London last week for a long weekend (visiting with his sisters), so I took the boys to the ILs. We had a great time, and I got tons of knitting done! I finished one of DHs socks, and got the heel turned on the other, so now I just need to finish the leg of it. Sadly, they're a tad too big. Still wearable, but I'm still figuring out how to size socks. The pattern called for the sock to fit exact to foot length, but I think it really needed to have a small amount of negative ease. Maybe all socks need this? These are in a worsted wool, so they're quite heavy. Pictures to come when I finish the other.

I also decided to jump on the Fetching bandwagon. Overall, I'm fairly happy with how they came out. I didn't actually block them, and perhaps I should have, to stop the top of rolling. These were knit using the Magic Loop technique, with KnitPicks Options size 6 needles and a 40" cord. I used Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran in Red (I think I used 610 or 611). New techniques for me included cabling (not hard at all, it turns out, though like all things, probably difficult to do really really well), and the Picot Bindoff. I bought two skeins of the yarn, but used only one. I was a bit short, which leads to me to the things I am not as pleased with on these. Basically, the thumbs don't match. The left thumb is 4 rows and a sewn cast-off, the right thumb is 3 rows and a regular bind-off. You actually can't really tell that they are different lengths, but the bind-offs do look different. I just wasn't willing to crack open the second skein when I knew that I'd not use the rest of it for anything. I'm also not happy with the regular bind off, as there's a bit of a gap. You can see it on the right palm shot. I did get more of this yarn in purple, and I'll be making myself a pair, and a matching hat. The yarn is delicious! These got sent off to SIL today.



































So, this leads to my unpleasant yarn store experience. There's a cute yarn store in the town that ILs live, that has a nice selection. I've not gotten a great vibe (they seem to be of the Snotty Yarn Store persuasion as opposed to the Friendly Yarn Store persuasion, if you know what I mean). I bought the yarn on...Saturday. I finished the gloves on Monday (I think, maybe it was Sunday, they're quick). I went in on Tuesday to exchange the second ball for a color that I like, to make a pair for me. I will admit that I wasn't paying attention and didn't notice the Closed sign. I opened the door and started to go in, and Condescending Lady said "We're closed, we're doing inventory." She sounded beyond annoyed. I said "Oh, I'm sorry, are you open tomorrow?" She said in the snottiest tone imaginable "Yes, at our usual time, 11:00." I left, feeling bizarrely humiliated, and almost in tears. It was very strange. This is a town that makes a living off of tourists, and people are typically really nice.

My first response was "I'm never setting foot in there again." By the next morning, I was able to let it go enough to say "Why should I let her rudeness stick me with a ball of yarn I don't need when I've already paid for it and I can get something I will use?" So I went in, and exchanged it, and left. I will never spend a cent there again though. The other women who work there were pleasant enough (though a bit inept), and I think this woman is the owner. I heard her talking to the other people working and she definitely had that attitude about her, but still. I didn't do anything wrong other than make an honest mistake in thinking the store was open and not noticing the sign. I'm not hypersensitive typically, and I don't look for reasons to feel offended. I was planning to write her a letter, but decided that (a) for spiritual reasons, I need to let it go and (b) she wouldn't give a sh*t anyway. So, I'll express my displeasure with my buying power. There are many independent yarn stores that I can support, not to mention ordering on-line, and I don't need her store, and I really don't need to support a business that treats people badly.

No comments: