Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Here and There


So, I finished the hat. I really like this pattern. It's Lotus Hat designed by Third Base Line, and it's just gorgeous. I ended up knitting this on size 6s, using my Denise kit (which I always do for adult hats now because my KP Options doesn't have a short enough cord). The yarn is Malabrigo, so soft and wonderful. I don't have pictures that really do the hat justice, that's for sure. I knit it as written, 96 stitches, and it did fit me.

It turns out, sadly, that the question of whether it will fit the intended recipient is moot. This was sent to the mother of a good internet friend of mine, who was diagnosed with cancer, and was designed to be a chemo cap. Unfortunately, things are progressing much more rapidly than anticipated, and the wonderful woman will not be needing it for this part of the journey after all.

I don't know if it's something about 2010 or something about the fact that I'm 40, but everywhere I turn, lately, it seems someone's losing someone dear to them. Many, many friends have lost parents this year. Beloved pets have died. Deeply wanted pregnancies lost. It seems like for so many, it's been a hard year.

In the midst of all that, I'm feeling profoundly grateful. We came very close to losing my father, whose life was saved by a quadruple bypass, and now he's fine - as sassy as ever. I'm so blessed, so unbelievably blessed with my family. I had the opportunity this weekend to go celebrate the wedding of two dear friends. I went sans kids and husband, and was reminded of how much I love all of them. My daughter wiped out last week and ended up with three stitches in her forehead. Even though it took about 4 hours at the ER to get the stitches, I'm feeling lucky - *all* she needed was stitches, and we're lucky to have good healthcare. Though there are challenges with my kids, they're good ones to have.

As Thanksgiving approaches, I'm sending love to all my friends who are missing someone this season, and holding my own family near to my heart.

1 comment:

Pam Asberry said...

Your hat is beautiful. I am so sorry about your friend. 2010 has been a rough year for so many. But, like you, I choose to focus on what I have instead of what I have lost. Here's hoping 2011 will be a kinder, gentler year.