Monday, November 01, 2010

And back to the Mundane...

*whew* I don't know when Halloween became a week-long celebration, and I don't love it, but we survived! It started with the town parade last weekend, then costumes at gymnastics all week, then a parade and party at school, a party at the gymnastics place (that was Out of Control), a friend's birthday party, and, of course, the Main Event, the Trick or Treating on Sunday night. Not to mention that all three kids were also baptized (this occurrence driven entirely by the boys), so my sister came down for the weekend to be Godmother, and DH's parents came for the day yesterday. CRAZY WEEKEND. It was wonderful, but I'm tired. And we've got a CRAZY month coming up! Fancy wedding next weekend (complete with overnight visiting from the grandparents for babysitting), a big fundraiser the weekend after, I'm going to New York the weekend after (ALONE) for a dear friend's wedding reception, then we're hosting Thanksgiving...DUDE. So, yeah, life is awesome but tiring.

I was wearing handknit socks today, the Felici ones, and they're getting really thin in the heel. No holes yet, but soon. They're just wearing out. Which is fine, what with the impermanence of life and all, but it made me realize that I am missing knitting. A LOT. So, one might wonder, why aren't you, in fact, knitting? I'm not sure. I have a ton of fleece and LOTS of planned projects looming over me. I think another issue is that I have too many things of needles, and I've not been knitting at all in months. I think maybe if I just started knitting something easy, that didn't require too much brain power, that might be a good re-entry. I love knitting, and I love having handknit things. I think sometimes it just takes me too long to finish stuff, whereas I can make a pair of fleece socks in about 35 minutes...

I am feeling very, very scattered these days. We've got some...not even bad stuff, just really challenging stuff with one of the kids. I'm volunteering in both boys' classrooms, I'm on the board of the PTA, I'm room mom for both boys, I'm doing a babysitting coop with two friends, I've gotten addicted to puzzles, I've got fleece in piles all over my house, and every where I turn, there's something I need or want to be doing.

Hmm. Maybe it's time to slow down a bit. Take some time just for being. As I'm writing this, I'm pondering the fact that I haven't done any yoga in a month. Perhaps the first step would be to go to bed earlier, so I can get up at 6 and resume my practice. Yeah, I think that's a good thing.

3 comments:

Dorothy said...

Oh, you sound like you're overwhelmed in the same way that I am! I'm trying to organize my time and space better, and hopefully that will help things....Good luck!

Pam Asberry said...

Yes... you must take time for yourself, or you won't be good for anyone else! I just posted to my blog with similar feelings, except I actually made myself sick. Learn from my mistakes!

Dakota said...

I to have driven myself to the point of exhaustion and illness by not taking the time to relax and give myself time for proper rest. Sure it's great to have full life but remember when we burn the candle at both ends it burns twice as fast and when the flames meet in the middle they put each other out.