Saturday, November 14, 2009

365-17: Contentment

I'm sitting here on a rainy day, working on putting a lecture on eating disorders together. A friend who teaches Psychology at a local community college asked me if I wanted to come in and do the class, and I jumped at the chance.

I don't think it's a secret on this blog that I lived with various eating disorders for many, many, many years. Today I am so grateful that I don't live that life anymore. I am recovered, something that for far too many years I never thought I would be able to say. It's a complex and difficult process, and there are so many things that contributed to my healing, too many to list here, so I'll just say that I am so profoundly grateful for my own recovery. I do not take it for granted, as I'm very aware I have another downward spiral in me - I'm not sure I have another recovery. I'd like to think so. Today, though, I am comfortable in my own skin, and have a pretty loving relationship with food and the body I live in. Not perfect, of course, but pretty damn good most of the time. That's a gift that I will *never* take for granted.

No comments: