Thursday, October 16, 2008

On My Own

My wonderful husband, who is a true partner in all ways, is off to visit his bestest friend, who lives on the other side of the country. This is wonderful for him, but a bit less wonderful for me. I am on my own with the three kids. Now, I'm with them all day, that's not the issue, it's just that I'd sort of gotten used to having a break in the evening, and well, that's not going to happen. We are going to my ILs for the weekend, which will be awesome, but I'd somehow thought DH was getting back on Monday evening, and he's not, it's Tuesday evening, and his plane doesn't even land until 9:45 pm. In Boston. We live in the Metro West area, so who knows how the hell he's actually going to *get* home. It's an adventure! I know, I know, I'm a total wuss. Single parents do this *all the time*.

So, in anticipation of 6 days by myself, last night I went out on my own because the beloved Yarn Harlot was speaking in Porter Square. I got the kids and minivan handed off to the husband and headed off. First stop, a bagel from Dunkin' (well, really my first stop was peeing at the grocery store but I thought maybe the internet didn't need to know that, except, of course, now you do). I then walked over to St. James Church. Porter Square Books and The Common Cod Fiber Guild put on the reading. I got there just past 5:30 and there were maybe 20 people waiting. I got in line. They ended up opening the doors early, and I went in and thought, what the hell, and sat in the front row. :) I immediately started chatting with the woman next to me and the woman sitting behind me, and before you know it, we were showing baby pictures, admiring each other's knitting, and dishing on LYSs. It was excellent! Now, those who know me "in real life" know that I'm...how shall we say...friendly. I love to meet people and chat, but often I find that folks aren't always interested in chatting back. Which is cool, of course. But it was so nice to find lots of common ground.

I *loved* hearing SPM speak. She's so funny and wise at the same time, and said much more eloquently and coherently some things I've tried to articulate here. She's so honest and just herself. She had me laughing out loud and also moved me. She gave a long intro and then read an essay from her book that I just may have to make part of my therapy practice, once I have one.

Afterwards, I exchanged Ravelry names with the women I'd been chatting with, and got in line to have my book(s) signed. I ended up talking to the two women behind me. One owns Sit'n'Stitch in Melrose (Janet) and was so nice! Her friend was also with her, who works for the store and when I told them that I had seen a *gorgeous* crocheted blanket displayed there that was the inspiration for my learning to crochet, we figured out that the friend had made it, which made her very happy. It's true though, it totally inspired me.

It didn't take too long to get through the line (of course, I was chatting away) and when I got up, I managed to say something to SPM about how inspiring I find her, her writing and her work. Then we bonded over the world's inexplicable lack of interest in discussing breastfeeding with nursing mothers.

I then headed home. I love that I *know* that area so well and feel so comfortable around there, but I also love that I live out here in the sticks now. I am feeling re-energized about my knitting. I revisited the green stripey sock (remember that poor thing? How long has it been since I worked on it? A year??) and am close to turning the heel. Another pair of socks to knit would be nice. I think once I get all my stuff off needles, I'm going to start a big project. More on that to come!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a fun night! I think I can see you in the audience pictures on her blog!