Monday, May 04, 2009

Whoa, where have I been?

Busy, but in a really good way! Last week, I got an email letting me know that I had made it off the wait list to a conference that I really wanted to go to. The course was on Meditation and Psychotherapy, and the main speaker on Friday was the Dalai Lama. Of course, I went. The entire conference was amazing, and I'm trying to figure out how to make some changes in my priorities. Doing is hard than thinking about doing, for me at least.

One part of the conference that was wonderful was that I got to go with one of my best friends, a fellow mom from the old 'hood, and I ran into another mom friend there, as well as a friend from my postdoc. So wonderful. I've been feeling really really blessed lately. I feel like my life is flowing over with friendship, family, and love. Not to mention so many material blessings.

Even with all of this, I've been doing some knitting, but, sadly, I think it may be translating out to negative knitting! I'm working on one project where I started it, and didn't get gauge. Started again, got gauge, but dropped a stitch. Started again, got some rows done and realized something looked weird, only to discover that there were 4 more rows of the pattern on the next page. *sigh* I gave up at that point, and tried again a few days later. I knit some, dropped a stitch and ripped it again.

I had the issue of the monkey that had to be ripped back and redone and I haven't had the heart to start it again, because somehow when I started it again, I started at the wrong side, so I'm half a row off and honestly I am not sure what to do about it.

THEN. I started the mini mochi vanilla socks again, this time on 2.5 mms, and I'm definitely liking the fabric much better. However, I noticed that I'd dropped a stitch, something like 15 rows down and just hadn't, you know, noticed. Okay, I had noticed but I didn't really see that it was a dropped stitch. I don't know what is going on with me and dropping stitches these days, it's not something that I do usually that often, but it's an epidemic right now! I'm actually really proud of myself - I got a very very small crochet hook and managed to manually knit the stitch up to the needle and it looks just fine!

So, I think maybe I'm just too tired to be knitting. I think the fact that I am finally getting some decent sleep (for the most part, not including the night my oldest was up from 2:00 am to 4:30 am with nightmares, except how can you be having nightmares if you WILL NOT GO BACK TO BED??) means my body is kicking and saying "Oh yeah, SLEEP! That's what I've been missing for the last year! Gimme more of that!!"

I feel like there are all kinds of wonderful things coming up, and all kinds of things that I'm super-excited to be doing...I'm working out to train for my part of my team's triathalon, I've got a wonderful new bookclub with some amazing women, I've got my group of friends in "the City" that we try to get together with regularly...my second son turns FOUR on Thursday, my daughter turns ONE a week after that...wow, life is just so full.

No comments: