Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Slogging Through

Holy cow, it's been 10 days since I've updated!

I feel like with every single thing that I do, I hit a point where I just get bored and *enh* about it, if you know what I mean. The exception in knitting MIGHT be some of the dishcloths I've done. I morph from casting on with joyous excitement to frustration (usually) to blah and bored, to DONE and thrilled. This holds true not just for knitting, but certainly for the other crafts I do and have done (cross stitch being the big one), and other things, like, say, my dissertation for my Ph.D. Oh yeah. It was actually finishing my Ph.D. that changed my self-image on a deep level. I'd always thought of myself as someone who didn't FINISH things. Who gave up, got distracted, bailed out. This, of course, wasn't true in the least, but it *felt* true. Then, when I finished my doctorate, I felt like I had something tangible to hold on to (or really, to hang on the wall), to prove to myself that I could do things over the long haul.

That being said, I'm not sure I'm cut out for BIG knitting projects. I'm so bored with this poncho, I just want it finished! I'm not sure I could stick out a sweater for me, at least, not one knit on small needles! I love the thrill of actually completing something, of getting it done. I can't wait to finish the last two projects I've got in flight, so I can move on to something more exciting.

I just read something someone wrote (wish I could remember who) about knitters: that there are those who stash and those who do projects. I'm sort of a hybrid, I have a small but decent yarn stash, all of which was purchased for specific projects.

I also used to be a monogamous knitter - I'd do one project, and work on one and only one until death did us part I actually finished it before I'd cast-on something new. That has clearly changed. I have multiple projects going on most of the time, and sometimes I even work on more than one project in the same evening! I'm not so much promiscuous though, as polyamorous, for I do truly love each project I'm working on.

No comments: